Dear Dice Masters Fans,
In 2014 we set out on a path that would lead to our players rolling an enormous number of dice, and WizKids becoming the world’s #1 dice manufacturer. Players have built up large Dice Masters collections and we’ve continued to expand the game into new licenses, product configurations, and themes. After careful consideration, and for the overall health of the game, we’re going to be splitting the constructed format into two categories – one where nearly every card and die is legal, and one where each set will have a lifespan of at least two years. These two constructed formats will be Golden Age and Modern Age respectively. Golden Age is the format that includes almost every card released – it’s the present format for constructed. It will continue to contain everything that is released, minus Golden Age banned cards. It’s the format you already know and love playing. Modern Age will change from year to year. As new sets are released, they will become Modern-Age-legal per the tournament rules for card/die legality. As sets become old, we’ll rotate them from Modern Age and Golden Age to Golden Age only. We expect to make an announcement about which sets will rotate and which will stay once per year.
What is rotation?
Rotation describes sets moving from being legal in Modern Age and Golden Age to only being legal in Golden Age. This will happen to the oldest product that is in Modern-Age-legal.
Rotation keeps the metagame healthy for our most dedicated, competitive players. A smaller card pool means new sets are a bigger part of what everyone can focus on having fun with. For players that enjoy a large card pool, they can still play that way in friendly games and specified events. Rotation keeps the game accessible to new players. As sets get old, they often become scarce. Staple cards are harder for new players to access, and getting into the game fresh can become challenging when there are very-many sets to collect cards from. Players getting started may even be overwhelmed by the number of gravity feeds and starter sets to choose from. New players are important to us, retailers, and dedicated players in order to continue building the Dice Masters community. Rotation improves Dice Masters for retailers. The stores with the most successful Dice Masters communities may have the entire line in stock, but that’s a lot to ask for from every retailer who wants to support Dice Masters. Stores are able to keep the line accessible to their customers with fewer gravity feeds in stock, as well as a smaller variety of starters (which ties back to our decision to release fewer starter sets this year).
When will rotation happen?
Modern Age begins on June 1st, 2017. Qualifying events, National Championships, and World Championships held after this date will be in the Modern Age format.
What will Modern Age consist of initially?
To begin with, Modern Age will contain all sets from DC Comics Dice Masters: War of Light and newer, as well as all promos released after War of Light (September 16th, 2015). At the end of this announcement, see the full list. Also, we’re announcing that Half-Elf Bard: Master Lords’ Alliance will be banned in Modern Age. As with all banned cards, we may unban it depending on metagame conditions. The Rules Forum will maintain a list of banned cards. An easy way to check this list is by visiting: dicemasters.com/bannedcards.
What if my store wants to run Golden Age events?
Please clearly mark your event as Golden Age in your event’s description on the WizKids Info Network. If you are running a WizKids Premier Event, like a WizKids Open, please make sure this is not contrary to any direction that is given by WizKids. Also, please note that dicemasters.com/bannedcards will include a list of cards that are disallowed for Golden Age play.
Why are some promo cards rotated but others remain legal from the same OP kit?
Promo cards that share a collector number with a rotated card rotate with that card (for example, Black Manta: Deep Sea Deviant). Promo cards that are functionally identical reprints of rotated cards (with identical names) but have different collector numbers will remain in Modern Age (for example, Thrown Car and Villainous Pact).
Which sets are rotating out of Modern Age as of June 1st?
- Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men
- Marvel Dice Masters: The Uncanny X-Men
- Yu-Gi-Oh! Dice Masters Series 1
- D&D Dice Masters: Battle for Faerûn
- DC Comics Dice Masters: Justice League
- Marvel Dice Masters: Age of Ultron
Comprehensive Modern Age List (announced February 22nd, for official use June 1st) Modern Age includes the following sets :
- DC Comics Dice Masters: War of Light
- Marvel Dice Masters: The Amazing Spider-Man
- D&D Dice Masters: Faerûn Under Siege
- DC Comics Dice Masters: World’s Finest
- Marvel Dice Masters: Civil War
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Dice Masters: Box Set
- DC Comics Dice Masters: Green Arrow and The Flash
- Marvel Dice Masters: Deadpool
- Marvel Dice Masters: Doctor Strange Team Pack
- Marvel Dice Masters: Iron Man and War Machine Starter Set
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Dice Masters: Heroes In A Half-Shell Box Set
- DC Comics Dice Masters: Batman
- Marvel Dice Masters: Defenders Team Pack
Future sets will be considered Modern Age one week after their release date. The following promos, and any promos releasing in 2017 will also be considered Modern Age:
- Batmobile: From Wayne Enterprises
- Iron Fist: The Immortal
- Robin: Teen Titans Team Leader
- Starfire: Powerful Friend
- Nova: Nova Prime
- Thanos: Gauntlet Wielder
- Lex Luthor: Legion of Doom
- Scarecrow: Legion of Doom
- Mummy: Legendary Undead
- Gelatinous Cube: Legendary Ooze
- Half-Dragon: Legendary Humanoid
- Skeleton: Legendary Undead
- Gwen Stacy: Spider-Ally
- Mary Jane: Spider-Ally
- Supergirl: Crisis on Infinite Earths
- The Flash: Crisis on Infinite Earths
- Melinda May: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Terry McGinnis: Batman Beyond
- Daredevil: Marvel Knight
- Punisher: Marvel Knight
- Stargirl: DC Bombshell
- Lois Lane: DC Bombshell
- Villainous Pact
- Ant-Man: Tiny Regret
- Baron Zemo: Citizen V
- Thrown Car
- Mxyzptlk: Golden Age Superman
- Bizarro: Golden Age Superman
- Marvel: Amazing Hero
- Loki: Angsty Asgardian
- Focus Power
- Green Arrow: Archery Advocate
- Roy Harper: Adolescent Archer
- Strahd: Master of Ravenloft
- Ant-Man: Classic Avenger
- Captain America: Classic Avenger
- Barry Allen: Fastest Man Alive
- Professor Zoom: Thief
Banned Cards (Modern Age):
- Half-Elf Bard: Master Lords’ Alliance
Golden Age Banned Cards Banned Cards (Golden Age):
- Relentless: Basic Action Card
- Swords of Revealing Light: Basic Action Card